Scientific Achievements and Intellectual Property
1. In 2009, based on advanced technologies, Zhuhai Guangtong Automobile Company Ltd. developed various high-performance electric buses, including the hybrid electric bus, electric bus, and third-generation stepless hybrid buses and so on.
2. In November 2009, four 10m ~ 11m new energy buses had the road test on national test ground (in Tianjin City), which were confirmed by the state. The fuel saving ratio of the four vehicles met the requirements.
3. On January 25, 2010, Zhuhai Guangtong Automobile Company Ltd. won the production qualification of new energy bus and chassis and became one of the few enterprises won that qualification in China.
4. At the beginning of 2010, three series of hybrid electric vehicles developed and produced by Guangtong were listed in the Recommended Vehicle Model List for Demonstration and Popularization of Energy Saving and New Energy Vehicle.
5. On October 1, 2010, Zhuhai Guangtong Automobile Company Ltd. cooperated with Zhuhai Yintong Group to offer 20 zero emission electric buses for the trial operation of the first pure electric transit network in Zhuhai City.
Comparison Between Electric Bus and Engine Vehicle
1. Performance and application
The price of an electric bus is higher than that of engine vehicle, since electric bus needs great initial capital investment. The electric bus requires less maintenance fees so, with the extension of their service life, it is possible for the cost of an electric bus to be less than that of an engine vehicle.
2. No pollution and low noise
The electric bus produces no pollution to the environment, which is environmentally friendly. The engine vehicle generates exhaust gas upon running. As is known to all, the CO, HC, NOX, particle and other pollutants produced by the engine vehicle can form acid rain, acid mist and photochemical smog. The electric bus also produces less noise than that of an engine vehicle.
3. Energy saving and high efficiency
The research on the electric bus shows that its energy efficiency is higher than that of an engine vehicle. The electric bus consumes no electricity when it stops running. During the braking process, the electric motor of electric bus can be automatically converted to work as generator, to realize the energy recycle upon braking during the deceleration.
4. Simple structure and convenient maintenance
Compared to an engine vehicle, the electric bus features simple structure, uses less parts and needs less maintenance. When using the AC induction motor, the electric motor of electric bus needs no maintenance. The most important thing is that the electric bus is easy to drive.
Production Project Planning of Pure Electric Vehicles
Estimated total investment: 186,974,568 US Dollar
Construction site: Jinwan District and Bonded Area in Zhuhai City
Total construction area: 300, 000 square meters
Objective: The project is planned to be completed in 2013, with the production capacity of pure electric vehicles reaching 5000.
LNG Bus and CNG Bus
1. The charge pressure is 20 Mpa. It is difficult for the CNG bus to ensure the security.
2. The long charge time directly affects the economic benefits of users.
3. The CNG bus has a short driving range and needs more CNG filling stations to meet the gas charge requirements. On the one hand this causes a waste of the limited resources, and on the other hand affects the effective operating time of users.
4. The loading efficiency of the gas cylinder is low. One 80L gas cylinder only contains about 16m3 air. The weight of each gas cylinder after being fully charged will be more than 100kg. One 10m city bus will generally need 8-10 gas cylinders to have the same driving range as the diesel vehicle. For the low-floor type city bus, the gas cylinders can only be installed on the vehicle roof. This installation increases the vehicle's weight and the center of gravity, affects the vehicle's structure, driving security and fuel consumption rate.
The LNG bus only uses liquefied natural gas and overcomes the above disadvantages of the CNG bus.
1. One 1335 L cylinder can enable the LNG bus to drive for more than 500 km.
2. The weight of one 335L LNG cylinder is 225kg and it is 353kg after the cylinder is fully charged. With the cylinder being installed on the vehicle frame, the LNG bus greatly lowers the center of gravity of the vehicle, so the security of the vehicle is improved.
Diesel fuel: 220℃
Gasoline: 427℃ (but gasoline features strong volatility)
Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG): 490℃
Natural gas: 650℃
The ignition temperature of coal gas, mixed gas is higher than 500℃
The proportion of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) to air is 1.5~2. The LPG is easily accumulated downwards upon leakage, which can cause an explosion.
The proportion of natural gas to air is 0.58~0.79. The natural gas will be volatilized into the air upon leakage, hardly causing a potential safety hazard.
Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG): 1.7%~9.7%, can easily cause an explosion.
Natural gas: 5~15%, hardly causes an explosion.
From the above we can see that the security index of natural gas is higher than that of various other fuels. Using natural gas as fuel is more safe and reliable.
Introduction of the Electric Bus
On January 25, 2010, Zhuhai Guangtong Automobile Company Ltd. won the production qualification of the new energy bus and chassis. The electric motor, electronically controlled and powered air-conditioning unit developed by Guangtong have the advantages of high efficiency and energy saving. The rate of AC asynchronous motor with two speeds can be more than 85% during the operation process. The temperature of the motor will be decreased by 25° and its service life will be increased two times. The new-generation motor controller uses the variable program control mode. The efficiency of this kind of motor controller is 12% higher than that of an ordinary vector controller when the motor operates in the high velocity area. When the quantity of electricity is lower than 20%, the motor of our electric bus will have the linear power-reduction operation which can effectively prevent the overdischarge of the battery. The EER (energy efficiency ratio) of electronically powered air-conditioning unit can reach 3.35, which only consumes 5kw/h. With the above advantages and the production capacity of Guangtong, the pure electric bus developed by Guangtong and Yintong lowers the energy consumption from 1.1kw/h to 0.8kw/h. The electric bus currently can have the electric energy to drive for 250km and reduce the energy consumption of 75kw/h compared to ordinary electric buses. At present, 20 pure electric buses have been put into the trial operation of the transit network in Zhuhai City.